Friday, October 28, 2011

God's Grandeur


Blake Fletcher
AP English

God’s Grandeur
1.     I think the theme of this poem could possibly be something to do with death. I say this because the last line. The last two words in the poem are “bright wings” this just makes me think of an angel.
2.     I don’t understand the simile in line 2? Lines 7 and 8 could be a symbol of the men’s hard work and his shoes wearing out. The smell of sweat and the smudge could be sweat as well. It could represent the end of a hard days work. Lines 11 and 12 could be a symbol for the fact that nothing happens throughout the night. I don’t really understand this poem I have read it like eight times now and I just don’t see a symbol here.
3.     I think that the phrase “wreck his rod” could possibly mean that even though people harvest from these olive plants they don’t die and maybe they grow on a rod that lives through the harvest. The term “spent” could have another meaning of dying like I will never be spent or I will never be worn out. The term “bent” could be a way of saying horizon because they where talking about the sunset and sunrise so maybe this is just continued from the line before.

No comments:

Post a Comment